Saturday, September 29, 2012

Departure


Saturday was the first of two very long days for me. I woke up around 9:30, a bit nervous and excited, thinking “Today’s the day!”. I did a lot to work on my anxiety and keep it to a reasonable level - I tried to eat healthy, focused on the present (not anticipating what was to come in the future & worrying over it), and took my rescue remedies (thanks Nana!).

Nana and John came over around 10:30 to see me off. We had a good chat as I finished packing. Big hugs were had all around as they left - I knew they both really wanted to come with me as per our original idea, but unfortunately it just wasn’t meant to be.

Then it was onto organizing paperwork, which took up a few hours of my time (and in the end, of course, it seems I only needed a few sheets!). Oh, and of course weighing, reweighing and modifying my luggage and carry-on bag. And then it was time.


Departure


However, just as we were about to leave, around 2:30, Mom checked the flight schedule, and what do you know, my flight, which was supposed to be departing at 8:50 PM was delayed until 11:30 PM. Just my luck.

But we still made the trek up to Toronto, and I was texting Hannah, the other Trent student flying out with me. We were both nervous we wouldn’t make our shuttle we had booked for 12 PM the next day at Gatwick Airport. There was nothing to do but wait and see, unfortunately.

After what seemed like a long (and thankfully, uneventful) drive to the airport, Mom, Dad and I got out and stretched our legs… while lugging my heavy suitcase and bags! Checking in and baggage drop-off was a breeze. It seemed we had timed it just right, because a half hour later there was a HUGE line.

With hours to kill we explored Terminal 3 a bit and grabbed some dinner. The next 4 or so hours were spent drinking tea/coffee, people watching, and doing crossword puzzles. I actually think the super long wait helped ease my anxiety, because when Hannah showed up and we went to go through security I had no problem saying goodbye. Honestly, I’ve never felt so NOT anxious in my life - cool as a cucumber. Which, for all that know me, is unusual, LOL.

I took a super long time in security, so I made my way to meet Hannah at our boarding spot by myself. I hardly had to show my passport or explain where I was going in order to board the plane. I expected questioning at customs or something, but apparently they don’t care if you leave countries - perhaps just if you are entering?!

We were finally seated and started to taxi off the runway around 12:05 AM Sunday. It had already been a LONG day, but unfortunately, I couldn’t sleep on the plane despite being tired. I tried my travel neck pillow, eye covering, headphones - the works, but nada. The movies being shown were pretty uninteresting too, Dolphin’s Tale and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - it wasn’t like my flight to Houston and back where there were individual screens and you go to pick what you watched. So I mostly just tried to sleep, even though it wasn’t working. I read a bit but was too tired for it. I did get to see the sunrise through the clouds - just like John wanted me to! - and it was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment