Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What’s happenin’

Hi everyone!

After MANY challenges, things have worked out and now the countdown is ON - I leave for my study abroad experience in the UK in T minus 2 days, eek! I figured I’d clear up what exactly I’ll be doing, and lay out all the details below so y’all are on the same page.

Who: me, Rachelia, of course!

What: Studying abroad - I’m finishing up my undergraduate history degree (finally, yay!) so I can graduate this spring.

Colchester-map-england


Where: I’ll be studying at the University of Essex in Colchester, England. It’s about 40 minutes outside of London by train, 2 hours by bus. While I am there I will be staying in residence, on campus in one of their “towers” in shared accommodation with about 15 other girls. We have a shared living, bathroom and kitchen area, and single bedrooms. I’m in Raleigh tower!

I’m hoping while I am in England to also travel around a bit on weekends. Ideally I’d like to see a bit of Ireland (including Belfast) and Scotland, but we’ll see how feasible it is with school work and such.

time

When: I have an evening flight out of Toronto on Saturday, September 29th. I’m going to be travelling with another Trent student, so that’s nice. We arrive at Gatwick airport the next morning. After all the hustle and bustle of customs, immigration and security, etc. then we have an airport shuttle to campus lined up. I probably won’t arrive on campus until about 2pm London time (about 9am Peterborough time… I think?). Then I’ve got a lot of registering, settling in, meeting my roommates and unpacking to do!

As for coming back home, I haven’t booked my flight yet (trying to wait to get a better deal than I did on my one there) but my residence agreement is until December 15th. I’ll likely be back by the 17th.


That’s it! If you have any questions, words of encouragement, just want to say “hi” then feel free to leave a comment.

Also, if you want to subscribe to my blog and stay up to date with my travels and experiences then you can follow via e-mail - there is a little button to subscribe on the right.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic set up Rachelia. Kenny and I wish you a safe journey to the UK and hopefully, if you have time and studies permitting, we could meet up in Scotland or we can try and come down to meet up with you while you are here. I am sure a warm welcome will await you in Colchester. Best wishes sweetie your cousin Liz & Kenny Grieve xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Rachelia. Congratulations on getting to Colchester and getting set up - and best wishes for a a great experience there! Enjoy!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete